About client & task
Typika Artisan Roasters
Cafe | Roasting Warehouse | Retail | Training School
Size | 600m2
Completion | March 2013 OR February 2013
Photography | Scene Team
Design | One Alliance Project Consulting
Construction | JBM Projects
The café design of Typika Artisan Roasters maximises the potential of the old warehouse style site in Claremont WA to create a unique offer to the Perth café scene. With a tight timeframe and budget, the café design utilises existing finishes to balance costs, such as the original concrete floor and brick walls. Complementing these finishes and the industrial space, large strand chipboard, patina-copper coloured leather bench seating, and recycled floorboards salvaged from old squash courts help create a unique atmosphere. Collaborations with Australian furniture and lighting designers provided bespoke talking points within the space including lights made from glass chemist beakers and salvaged road signs; and recycled timber tables and bar front from old timber houses and road signs. To enhance the industrial feel, a new entrance was created from a decommissioned shipping container to provide an interesting first impression of the space. The planning focuses around a high end commercial coffee roaster and open kitchen as the heroes of the space to reflect the client’s commitment and passion for good quality food and coffee. A variety of dramatic spaces within the large open warehouse provide customers with different dining experiences.
Unique Project Features
- Bespoke cafe signage and artwork
- New shipping container entry portal
- Recycled feature panelling from road signs and timber houses
- Custom furniture and lighting
- Large room for industrial coffee roaster, with views to seating area
- 100 person seating capacity across a variety of unique and different seating options
- New outdoor, retractable roof, pergola area and green wall
- 15m Long dining table made from recycled squash courts and feature beaker lighting
- Variety of dining spaces to cater for light breakfasts, tapas or formal dining with flexible dynamic spaces.
- Full service professional kitchen including pastry kitchen.
- Maximised available space to also include large commercial coffee roasting room, new bathroom and shower facilities, large packing and storage room, training room and administration office area.
“The design of our Café Typika Artisan Roasters in Claremont by One Alliance Project Consulting exceeded our expectations of what we could offer our customers as a memorable experience whilst maintaining a functional and cost effective design solution for our staff.
One Alliance Project Consulting listened to what we wanted and delivered what we needed in a collaborative process that was both enjoyable and stress free from initial concept designs to delivery on site. Their expertise in the hospitality industry provided a unique balance of innovative design, functionality and personality that delivered a dining experience like no other to our customers.
Customer, staff and media feedback has been extremely positive as a result of the design appeal of the space.”
John Kenyon – Owner of TypikaTypika Artisan Roasters Cafe